[isf-wifidog] WiFiDog Roadmap, first draft

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mer 8 Juin 18:02:29 EDT 2005

> On the other side, for others developpers (and me) postgresql is a pain to
> use in comparaison with mysql. I can't understand why we must develop the
> auth-server schema in postgresql (or any DB) and not in a DB design GUI
> like DBDesigner (abstraction).

We... don't.  The problem is that when someone updates the database schema
because of some code change, there has to be a way to communicate the ewxact
changes made to the schema so people can upgrade their database.  The only
way to do that is to send a bunch of alter tables.  Since saying "put them in
the changelog and people will read it there" just didn't cut it,
schema_validate was developed.  Now everyone who already uses wifidog are in
sync and happy.

The problem is new users, we have to publish a complete initial schema that is
up to date, as well as initial data.  The only way to do it with no mistakes
is to generate it directly from a running database.

Untill there are free db design tool that can do diffs between two schemas,
that's the only way to go.

> I don't know what DBdesign worth (any power
> user of this tool somewhere ?) but maybe it can solve some developpment
> issue.

I used to use it, it's a great tool.  Unfortunately at the time it's foreign
key handling was buggy, and it was only happy with MySql.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/