[isf-wifidog] WiFiDog Roadmap, first draft

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mer 8 Juin 15:04:48 EDT 2005

> When people say "free database" MySQL comes to mind, not PostgreSQL.
>
> Yes, I know that pgsql is better, yes I know it has more features,
> and yes, I've been eyeing it for more serious database work ever
> since I started using it in this project.
>
> However, It is NOT the de-facto db that is available to most people.
>
> Our early rationale for convincing ourselves that it was a good
> choice was that people who are interested in running a WifiDog auth
> server are highly experienced in the technical nature and would
> probably run their own server with whatever software they need;
> However, that assumption has been proven wrong quite clearly by
> people who want to use our software along with the mainstream open
> source db.  At least one person who posted to the mailing list passed
> off on our otherwise excellent software simply because of our
> slightly eccentric DB choice.

I can't really argue with that.

> We need to make a decision and make it clear.  The "DB abstraction"
> that makes it "hard to add a second DB layer" is not a good DB
> abstraction.

It isn't "hard" (all the "hard") work has been done.  It's just that
apparently no one cares enough to go that last 20% of the way.

> If we decide that, hey, we will only do PGSQL then remove all partial
> mysql support and post that decision in bold letters in the FAQ.
> While we're at it let's maximize the use of pgsql.

Ageed, but let's give others a little more time to step up to maintain MySql
support.

> If not, let's move all "cleverness" away from the DB and into the PHP
> code so we may get away with 1-syntax-fits-all for maximum db support.

That's ALREADY done, as far as I can tell.  There are no doubt a few things
that MySQL can't swallow (as we haven't tested it in a LONG time), but no
fundamental design problem.
--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/