[isf-wifidog] WiFiDog Roadmap, first draft

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Lun 6 Juin 15:23:35 EDT 2005

I everyone, I am back ;)  I am extremely happy about the work that was done in
my absence, congratulations!

That being said (yes, there is always a "but..." with me),   I am quite
surprised by some of what I heard in this thread.  The auth server clearly
has an image problem, even (or especially) within ISF.  I'll try to address
this a little bit, and try to at least start a Roadmap.

Many of the requests or complaints I heard are already addressed by what the
auth server already does, where it's already going or would only require tiny
changes to be in the mainline distribution.  This very long message is meant
to give a little perspective about where WiFiDog is, and where it may be
going.

First there is the gateway.  It is designed to be simple and quite dumb.  The
only UI on it is to get it's status, and display a message in case of
abnormal conditions (auth server down, internet down, etc.).  It is not
meant, and probably never will run without some kind of remote auth server.
In the course of it's development, we've met with various bugs and problems,
but our initial design has proven to stand the test of time in the real
world.  See http://www.ilesansfil.org/wiki/WiFiDog/FlowDiagram.  The gateway
roadmap for now is:
-Traffic shaping.  Four different shaping related issues will eventually have
to be adressed:
	-Interface shaping:  Avoiding latency spikes caused by concurrent users due
to buffer contention in the DSL or cable modem.  This could be solved by
existing solutions like WonderShaper, but there needs to be a better way to
set the available bandwidth.  Ideally it should be measured by a script, as
DSL lines can vary very significantly from the advertised bandwidth.
	-Fair bandwidth allocation between concurrent users. (A single user opening
ten connections should have the same bandwidth as his neighbour opening a
single connection)
	-Monthly bandwith limiting by hotspot.  (Must include use outside the captive
portal)
	-Slow down users once they have used excessive bandwidth at a single hotspot.
-WPA support:  This is a long term project.  As drivers mature, it becomes
(well, probably) workable to optionally skip the login page by authenticating
using WPA.  However, this will need strong abstraction if we don't want it
confined to the WRT54G.  Also, it must use conditional compilation, as just
this code will probably be larger than the whole of the of the current
wifidog gateway codebase.  Note that the goal of this isn't to eliminate the
captive portal, just to skip login page and gain "wireline" encryption.

Now the auth server.  It has (and always had) two major functions for ISF:
peer-hotspot content delivery and network management (authentication,
statistics, network monitoring, etc.).  A number of complaints were expressed
in the last two months:

* It requires PHP5:  Well, PHP5 has been released for a year now and is
officially or semi-officially part of every major distribution.  Doing what
we are doing with PHP4 would be complicated, much more brittle and ultimately
a non-issue.  Yes, right now few hosting providers offer PHP5 services, and
some groups do not want or cannot run their own auth server.  But the problem
will solve itself over time, and I don't see why anyone would put in the
several weeks (minimum) to reach feature parity with a PHP4 fork.  Any such
fork wouldn't last all that long unless it fills a VERY specific niche.

* It only works with PostgreSQL:  Ok, first I need to vent a little.  Ever
since we moved from MySql to Postgres (mostly because Postgres is the
de-facto GIS database), we had people request a MySQL version.  For this to
remain possible, we can't use most of postgres's advanced features.  For the
same reason, very large efforts were made to stick strictly to SQL99
features.  The database abstraction is there.  All this was done at the cost
of much more work, and a more brittle data model.  Not much needs to be done
to make it work.  Currently the initial schema is auto-generated from a
working install to avoid errors (this is what update_sql_for_cvs does), as
many postgres attributes as possible are stripped off with dump parameters.
All someone needs to use it with mysql is either a few minutes to port it to
MySql everytime it changes (mostly adding InnoDB table types so foreign keys
will work, and replace a few types MySQL does not directly support).  The
best however is for someone to write a few lines
of regular expressions to do it automatically.  This could then be done for
every commit so everyone can benefit.

Unfortunately, so far all this work didn't pay off.  People complain, no one
uses it and we are stuck with the lowest common denominator.  If someone
actually steps forward to maintain MySQL support, I'll personally help him
fix all the small problems that will crop up  (by now dozens of queries are
untested with mysql).  If no one steps up in the near future, I'll propose
that we completely give up on MySQL to be able to use Postgres more fully.
To summarise, what must be done to make MySQL fully supported again:

-Write a script to convert the schema to mysql automatically.
-Make sure initial data works with both databases.
-Correct the different queries, making sure that they remain SQL99 compliant.
When that is truly impossible, use the constants in the config file to send a
different query to mysql.

* The auth server is getting too big:  “too” big is subjective, but it's true
that it's getting bigger (just passed 10000 SLOC).  Some have suggested we
start over and make a core auth server with a modular architecture.  I think
that's a very bad idea.  Even with the current auth server as a prototype,
starting over and reaching feature parity would be WAY more work than
progressively refactoring, as we are quite far along already.  The auth
server is ALREADY quite modular, and it's getting more modular by the day.
Already we have:
-Pluggable authentication modules (Local DB and RADIUS already working,
Pear-Auth trivial to add once PHP5 compliant)
-Pluggable Content delivery (See
http://www.ilesansfil.org/wiki/WiFiDog/ContentDistributionSystem for early
documentation on it's features). It's easy to add new types, the classes are
even self-enumerating.  Just add a php class file in class/content/.  There
would be much to discuss about the internal design of this subsystem which I
am very proud of, but that will have to wait.
-Most external dependencies can already be disabled without preventing the
server to work.
Now some people seem to think that it would be a good idea to just release a
so called "core" server.  Frankly, I don't get it.  Such a core server would
need to at least support language translations, a database (and schema
versioning), and some form of local content.  As modularization continues to
improve, it will be possible to distribute simple plugins.  But managing
adding database tables  and language translations specific to an external
plugin would be a nightmare both in logistics and for stability.  Such
plugins would need their own versioning for each table.  That would
definitely not make the system simpler.  We should distribute most of the
contributed modules as part of the main distribution.  They do not hurt
performance (this is all interpreted code...).  What we SHOULD do however is
make it a rule of inclusion that any module detects the absence of any of
their dependencies at runtime and deal with the condition gracefully. That
way we can keep a single translation source file, and unified documentation.

* There is no splash only auth server.  This is an important feature, but it's
very easy to add to the current server.  In fact I intended to do just that
to pre-empt this request, but I haven't had time yet.  In any case there is
no reasonable case for a separate splash server that wouldn't require a
database.  A much better use of developer time would be to work on SqlLite
support (especially since it's built into PHP5).

Roadmap:

What has recently been added to WiFiDog:
-Better object model.  There are now almost completely abstract objects for
most important concepts (Network, a Node, User, authentication sources
(Authenticator), Content, Content Group, etc.
-Because of the much better object model, we are starting to have much better
internal documentation.  Hopefully this could become readable enough to serve
as an architecture document for the time being.
-Database schema versioning and automatic upgrade of an existing auth server
installation (schema_validate.php).  This allows many database changes to be
made between release, and makes the migration process automatic.  This check
is triggered by accessing the root page of the aut server.
-"Formless" form handling.  Every class that has an interface should implement
a few standard methods to allow it to display and process it's user and admin
UI without knowing anything about the URL of the form that uses it.  This
allows you to re-use an object's UI in any context, and allows administration
of most objects with a single form.
-Moved away from Smarty templates for most uses.  Not that Smarty isn't great,
but it's not terribly well suited to our problem.  The UI is now mostly tied
to objects instead of pages and we now have a CSS only layout.  Had we
retained Smarty, the number of templates would have exploded, each template
wouldn't contain any layout anyway, and we would have had to retrieve the
html generated by Smarty because it has to be passed back to the parent
object or the calling method.  Because of this Smarty increased  complexity
of most of the code while no longer improving clarity.  Note that Smarty is
still supported, just not used very much.

What is currently in progress:
massively drop the barrier to entry both for administrators and developers.
Because we (and other people) have wifidog auth servers in production, not
all features have been ported to the new design.  Two specific areas are
currently a messy mix of legacy code and new elements.
1- Statistics.  Many of the underlying functions of the reports are to be
deprecated (From now on, getters should never return complete arrays of RAW
sql if they can return objects.  If they can't, the query probably belongs
directly in the report code.
2- Node administration.  It's currently spread out over different pages, some
of which have functionality related to the local content directories that no
longuer has any effect (some changes are incomplete), yet the documentation
has not yet been updated.
-Network abstraction, and then multiple network support.
-Auto-detection of enabled features depending on installed dependencies.
-On line documentation.  Some subsystems like the Content delivery system and
parts of the network management interface are not self explanatory and should
have popup help in the web interface.

There will probably be official releases before this point.  However, this is
probably the 1.0 feature set.

Possible future features (In no specific order, only ISF features listed, we
need thos of other groups...):

-A design philosophy document (it should be a wiki page)
-More elegant handling of network administrators.
-Explicit disclaimer (terms of service) support.  This is essential for ISF,
and is the ONLY thing many groups want.
-Allow at hotspot to be defined as splash only (no login) if the network
allows it.
-Eliminate config files, everything should be doable from the web interface
and stored in the database.
-User profiles (Allowing every user to opt in to have a profile page, allowing
them to change their username, etc.
-Search engine for some reports.
-Per user MAC address white-listing (If enabled by the network, probably under
a different policy than full token authentication).  This may require some
changes on the gateway.
-Allow the auth server to lookup nearby hotspots for an active session that
matches the current MAC address.  Combined with a good addressing plan, this
will allow correct operation in hotspots in overlapping coverage zones.
-A PHP gateway simulator, to act as a development and debuging tool.
-Restore tho old local_content functionality as a Content type.  This will
allow people to include web page fragments and have the relative image links
work. While this is rarely needed (it duplicates the work of several of the
content types), it can be usefull in some circumstances.

General design:

I think the wifidog auth server should be the swiss army knife of auth
servers. And I believe this can be done without being bloated if we execute
it well.  But we urgently need to finish cleaning up the code and write
documentation.  We finally see massive interest from other groups to
contribute.  Spending time to make their job easier and hold their hand is a
priority, even if it slows development down in the short term.  Even if
nobody contributes, it will make OUR job much easier in the long run.

Anyway, this document is what I came up with with a bunch of short writing
breaks on airplanes, in airports and during the very few free times available
at FISL 6.0.  It was not revised, and I have the feeling I will reply to
myself as soon as I post it.  I hope that this will form a good basis for
discussion and that I didn't offend anyone (I didn't have Internet access
while writing, and I hope I didn't miss anyone's point).  Hopefully it will
at least give other groups a slightly clearer idea of where we may be going.
I'd really like to get their feedback and feature requests.  There will be an
ISF developer meeting very soon where we can hopefully tie this together a
little more.

Good night,

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/