[isf-wifidog] Fw: single signon and automated account creation

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Mer 27 Juil 04:19:55 EDT 2005

hello ilesansfils,

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 01:54:14PM -0400, Benoit Gr?goire wrote:
> The problem I see with such a scheme is that nothing prevents someone from
> creating an unlimited number of accounts, which:
>
> -Nullifies any abuse prevention we are trying to take.
> -Will make creating a virtual community of users more difficult.
>
> I wouldn't see any problem with a user associating an OpenID with his account
> once he created his user, and then using it for signon.

Well that might be a good solution.. it would be nice to have
wifidog-using free networks inter-connected by OpenIDs at least... I'd be
happy to share network with ilesansfil people here in London.

but what's to prevent someone generating an unlimited amount of new fake
email addresses using dodgeit.com or equivalent services (or creating
lots of new gmail accounts using dodgeit.com as an invites farm) and then
abusing wifidog in exactly this way?

OpenID might prevent this kind of abuse actually, because it gets people
out of the habit of generating new throw-away IDs for every site they
visit... and man, if I have to register for one more ****ing lame web
service I'm going to chew my own head off... anything that reduces that
overhead is a Good Thing imo.

XX

Saul.