[isf-wifidog] Fw: single signon and automated account creation

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mar 26 Juil 13:54:14 EDT 2005

On July 26, 2005 12:08 pm, Jo Walsh wrote:
> hello wifidoggers,
>
> i'm on a brief "wouldn't it be interesting to find out what happened
> if our auth server and lots of our cohorts implemented OpenID" binge.
>
> i think i'll try to do it for node.l, a shared-planning wireless mapping
> collaborative event organising project that we're doing with the
> wirelesslondon backend, and i'm trying to nudge others to think about
> joining in.
>
> i'm looking at this python implementation, http://openid.schtuff.com/
> i see a php client (or 'consumer'), there may be other efforts:
> http://www.myelin.co.nz/post/2005/5/26/#200505262

The problem I see with such a scheme is that nothing prevents someone from
creating an unlimited number of accounts, which:

-Nullifies any abuse prevention we are trying to take.
-Will make creating a virtual community of users more difficult.

I wouldn't see any problem with a user associating an OpenID with his account
once he created his user, and then using it for signon.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/