[Wifidog] [Fwd: Re: connection problem]

Mina Naguib webmaster at topfx.com
Sun Jan 30 23:01:57 EST 2005

Another $0.02: If the ICMP thing doesn't fly, we could go a level lower
by using an ARP ping (who-has 1.2.3.4 ? tell 1.1.1.1).  Dug Song's
`dsniff` package has a binary called `arping` that does just that - I've
also seen a similar binary included in the core components of some
distros (for example net-misc/iputils in gentoo has it)

I don't think any client can refuse to reply to ARP pings, otherwise
they wouldn't be online in the first place.  Also I don't know of any
personal windows firewalls that can block those (I believe up to windows
XP SP2, normal programs did not have access to raw sockets)

Depending on what you find with your testing, I could go through
arping's code to see how simple it is.  The solution may be as simple as
having a wifidog thread looping over all connected IPs every X (where X
is less than the timeout) and arp-pinging them.

Now that I think about it, I don't know if ARP packets would count
against iptables counters or not, making this entire point moot.

hmmm... will test my theories.