[Wifidog] [Fwd: Re: connection problem]

Philippe April isf_lists at philippeapril.com
Sun Jan 30 22:41:34 EST 2005

Okay I implemented a new rule that catches traffic coming from the
clients to the gateway, however there does not seem to be much going on
since my laptop still times out if it's not doing anything... It's not
in CVS.

We could "trigger" traffic, by icmp pinging clients (laptops)... If
they respond, we get traffic in the client-go-gateway rule.

However, I'm not sure if this will work, maybe some crazy laptops will
have a firewall that blocks ICMP echo requests. Anyway we could always
say "you need to respond to icmp requests otherwise you'll time-out.

dnsmasq implements some code to icmp-ping an address before allocating
it, we could use that.

And btw, at the moment, Supreme is down (seems to be the pppoe
connection, because I can not log in via the openvpn tunnel).

Hopefully it'll come back up by itself.

On 30-Jan-05, at 6:49 PM, Daniel Drouet wrote:

> If it is indeed the disconnection on inactivity thing, we need to find
> a fix quickly before ISF's hotspots gain a rep as being unstable or
> flaky. How much work is involved in going the short lease + counting
> client to router traffic route?

Philippe April