[wd-isf] ChangeLog

Philippe April isf_lists at philippeapril.com
Mon Feb 14 08:13:28 EST 2005

I'm developing a lot on the auth server and I don't ChangeLog everytime, I
have to admit.

One reason for this is because we run an always cutting edge CVS copy in
prod.

I'd like to bring (again) the urgency of having dev instances (with an 's,
so people can develop in parallel). Either at people's place, or I don't
mind hosting them.

The reason for this is to not make tons of small commits to CVS (like I
do right now). It makes CVS just an updated copy of what's going on,
but we are never committing big changes.

I hate playing in production and risk fudging something up when I play
with templates and all.

Also, I would love to start tagging releases of the auth server,
although right now a lot of development and changes are going on.

Once we agree it's cool, we cvs update to the release we want.

Another benefit, once we tag releases and we want to make schema
changes, we can put in some SQL files that will alter the tables to
bring things up to date to the new release. Right now, it's not
versionned so we can't really do that.

So, Benoit, I'm sure you won't want to develop on my box at home because
you have a server already, but still I offer you an account on my server
at home for this. I would like to start this "new way" now because it's
getting risky to play in prod. Just yesterday I wanted to work on the
latest files from the auth server and found a couple of un-committed
files sitting on the auth server.

That wouldn't normally be a problem, but what happens if I want to
commit at home, then update the version in prod and stumble on merging
problems because newer code existed..

I'd like to hear your comments (everybody) although I'd like to push big
time for this to happen.

Cheers,

--
Philippe April