[Wifidog] Re: [Volunteers] ezcafe + message

Benoit St-André ben at benoitst-andre.net
Tue Feb 1 15:10:21 EST 2005

Michael Lenczner a écrit :
> I just talked to the owner of ezcafe.  He is going
> crazy with people staying too long (ie: 7 hours).  He
> asked if we can cut people off.  He still wants to
> offer it for free but it is hurting his business.
>
> When I mentioned that our competitors cut people off
> (and that we probably wouldn't), he said that he has
> already contacted experience wifi and he told me the
> pricing (45/month + the cards + equipment?).  The I
> suggested that we could log them off after 1 1/2 hours
> and display a message to them  ie:"the owner of this
> hotspot has asked us to give you the message that . .
> .".
>
> 1) can we do this? and would it take long to
> implement? (for the wifidog list)
> 2)and should we offer this? (discussion for the
> volunteers list)
>
> I'm all for it.  But I haven't thought about it too
> much.
>
> mike

What does this owner do when somebody sits in his cafe and reads Da
Vinci Code (just trying to pick a big book here) from page 1 to the end
without buying anything ? Or when students study there in their books
for a couple of hours buying one coffee for 6 persons ?

I'm not sure the technical thing is really the problem here. Maybe a
message somewhere in the cafe saying something like (sorry, I can better
write it in french) "Nous offrons avec plaisir l'accès internet sans fil
grâce à IleSansFil à tous nos clients.", meaning you have to buy
something to sit there.

--
Benoit St-André
ben at benoitst-andre.net