[isf-wifidog] errors in fresh install of cvs head

Rob Janes janes.rob at gmail.com
Dim 25 Déc 17:22:19 EST 2005

Max:

Well, yes i have customized the version of wifidog-auth I have, but
that's not what this is about.  I am not in the habit of confusing my
stuff with other people's stuff.  As the subject of my initial posting
reads, "errors in fresh install of cvs head", what I mean by this is
that I didn't make any modifications to the code I was using when the
errors occured.  I thought that was pretty clear.  I'm really not sure
how to make this any clearer.  If I didn't think it was relevant to the
base code on sourceforge I would not have bothered to waste everybody's
time with something evidently my problem alone.  Ok, enough of me being
cheesed off.  waa waa.

Here's the background.  These errors came up when we (Wireless Toronto)
got our development auth server back up, after a couple of months of
downage.  The Wireless Toronto group requested that I roll back any
merges and customizations I had done to wifidog-auth on the server, and
start again with a fresh copy.  So I did.  The copy we had on devauth
was as close to sourceforge's cvs head as you can get.  The only thing I
did to it was customize the config.php, as one must do, or at least
that's what I've been told.

Immediately, php error lines showed up on the web page and persisted.  I
tracked the problem to the lack of the three constants in the config.php
file.  I found them in a previous config.php file, so I just put them
back in.

By the way, the group has now had an opportunity to get in to the
devauth website now and look over all the things you guys have done in
the last few month.  They are really impressed.  I think I can speak for
the group when I say good job you guys!

Back to the issue.  It certainly occured to me that these constants were
removed for a reason, and were probably depricated.  Since I was under
the impression that it was important that sourceforge have a relatively
error free build, I figured it would be helpful and harmless and
relevant if I simply put them back in to the config.php so that the rest
of us could peacefully, without errors, await the new version of the
code that did not need these constants.

Hopefully this will be of some help to get to the bottom of the
problem.  I did this today, just now:

mkdir wifidog
cd wifidog
CVSROOT=':pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/wifidog' cvs checkout .
< lots of output here >
cd wifidog-auth/wifidog
find . -type f | xargs egrep
'PAGE_HEADER_NAME|PAGE_FOOTER_NAME|PORTAL_PAGE_NAME'
< here's the output ... >

./config.php:define('PORTAL_PAGE_NAME', 'portal.html');
./classes/SmartyWifidog.php:
if(is_file(NODE_CONTENT_PHP_RELATIVE_PATH.PAGE_HEADER_NAME))
./classes/SmartyWifidog.php:
$this->assign('header_file',NODE_CONTENT_SMARTY_PATH.PAGE_HEADER_NAME);
./classes/SmartyWifidog.php:
$this->assign('header_file',DEFAULT_CONTENT_SMARTY_PATH.PAGE_HEADER_NAME);
./classes/SmartyWifidog.php:    if
(is_file(NODE_CONTENT_PHP_RELATIVE_PATH.PORTAL_PAGE_NAME)) {
./classes/SmartyWifidog.php:        $this->assign('portal_page',
NODE_CONTENT_SMARTY_PATH.PORTAL_PAGE_NAME);
./classes/SmartyWifidog.php:        $this->assign('portal_page',
DEFAULT_CONTENT_SMARTY_PATH.PORTAL_PAGE_NAME);
./classes/SmartyWifidog.php:    if
(is_file(NODE_CONTENT_PHP_RELATIVE_PATH.PORTAL_PAGE_NAME)) {
./classes/SmartyWifidog.php:    if
(is_file(NODE_CONTENT_PHP_RELATIVE_PATH.PAGE_FOOTER_NAME))
./classes/SmartyWifidog.php:
$this->assign('footer_file',NODE_CONTENT_SMARTY_PATH.PAGE_FOOTER_NAME);
./classes/SmartyWifidog.php:
$this->assign('footer_file',DEFAULT_CONTENT_SMARTY_PATH.PAGE_FOOTER_NAME);
./classes/Style.php:    $retval =
$smarty->fetch(DEFAULT_CONTENT_SMARTY_PATH.PAGE_HEADER_NAME);

As you can see, this is a completely fresh copy of wifidog, straight
from the source forge, and it's full of references to all three of these
depricated constants.

This is the same command run on our devauth server:
./config.php:define('PAGE_HEADER_NAME', 'header.html');
./config.php:define('PAGE_FOOTER_NAME', 'footer.html');
[...]

As you can see, except for the two lines you (Max) stripped out of
config.php, they are identical.

Rather than my code being backleveled and customized, it would appear
that the code you are working on is what is not in sync with the code on
sourceforge.  This explains why my web server had mucho errors on the
page, but yours did/does not.

Since there is deprication going on, perhaps the best strategy would be
for you or whomever to check in the new code and thereby clear up this
problem which happens to anyone checking out a fresh copy of
sourceforge.  Or, if perhaps this new code has not been fully tested,
perhaps the best strategy would be to return all 3 lines to the
config.php file while the new code becomes ready for prime time.

In my opinion, it would be nice if the code on sourceforge didn't have
these visibly apparent errors in it.

As an aside, you guys really need more developers involved more familiar
with the rigours of installing wifidog on fresh systems, using the tools
posted on sourceforge rather than somewhere in Montreal.  Am I really
the first one in?  I am definitely getting mixed messages here, being
taken to task by Benoit about Database stuff, and now Max thinking I
haven't done my homework.  Do you guys really want code checked in from
other sister sites?  Do you really want developers involved not
physically in Montreal?  Sorry, I just have to ask.

cheers, and have a merry
-rob