[isf-wifidog] Fixing the bug concerning ID containing periods

Proulx François fproulx at edito.qc.ca
Mer 31 Aou 22:48:39 EDT 2005

Damn !

I just remembered PHP auto-converts HTTP vars with periods and space
to underscores.

Quoted from : http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/faq.html.php#faq.html.form-
image
Because foo.x and foo.y would make invalid variable names in PHP,
they are automagically converted to foo_x and foo_y. That is, the
periods are replaced with underscores. So, you'd access these
variables like any other described within the section on retrieving
variables from outside of PHP. For example, $_GET['foo_x'].

Note: Spaces in request variable names are converted to underscores.

So that means if a node_id (and the issue is only possible for node
id since they are user-defined, other id are numeric or hash-based),
an ID containing whitespaces, periods or underscores might confuse
PHP... How should we treat this. Since this naming scheme is only
used for making sure var names are unique... we could simply MD5 the
node_id before concatenating it into the http var name ... since it's
only used as a reference between getAdminUI and processAdminUI
methods...

Benoit, what do you think of this solution ?