[isf-wifidog] WiFi Dog auth server mirroring

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Ven 19 Aou 20:18:58 EDT 2005

On August 19, 2005 01:51 pm, Rein Petersen wrote:
> Benoit,
>
> If we are less concerned with true redundancy but just want to make certain
> that there is an auth server that can authorize users' access to the
> internet, can we simply back the data up on the primary server and restore
> it on the auth server, say nightly? On the backup server, we could remove
> the ability to add records (ie, new registrations) so that it is virtually
> a read-only version of the primary server and would not lose records when
> the primary server returns to service.
>
> Is this feasible?

It depends on your definition of "feasible", there are currently 129 UPDATE or
INSERT queries peppered throughout the code.  Isolating them and making sure
something "sensible" happens when they fail on a RO database is no small job,
and once your are done, you've pertty much done as much work as actually
building redundancy at the application level.

Now if all you want is for the network to never go down, but don't care that
you loose the data over the period the master was down, there is a much
easier way.

Any good Master-Multi-slave replication solution where the slave is writeable
(Sloony I for examples, there are others for Postgres, and even more for
MySQL)  will basically do what you want with fairly small effort.

The backup auth servers would l remain read-write, and will slave back to the
main once it's back up.  The problem is off course that you loose all events
that occured on the network during that period, including new user
registration, which can be confusing...

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/