[isf-wifidog] WiFi Dog auth server mirroring

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Ven 19 Aou 20:18:22 EDT 2005

On August 19, 2005 06:26 pm, Scott Tully wrote:
> > > You don't consider MySQL Cluster an option? Curious why.... works for
> > > me.
> >
> > From the doc:
> >
> > MySQL replication will not work correctly off if updates are done on
> > multiple MySQL servers. However, if the database partitioning scheme done
> > at the application level, and no transactions take place across these
> > partitions, then replication can be made to work.
> >
> > The foreign key construct is ignored, just as it is in MyISAM tables.
>
> I understand replication will not work because all the updates must
> come from the master, leaving a single point of failure.  I was
> refering to MySQL Cluster.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysql-cluster-overview.html

So was I, the two quotes above are from:
 16.8. Cluster Limitations in MySQL 4.1
(There is also a chapter on the changes in 5.0, but the two limitation haven't
been lifted)

Note that I am not saying that MySQL clusters are worthless, just that they
aren't yet a very general solution.  It would require quite a bit of MySQL
specific work to make it run.

If we wanted this feature right now, there are better solutions.  But we are
willing to wait for OSS replication technology to improve a little more.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/