[Volunteers] Ongoing problem with Wifidog + solution - WAS: Ton acces internet

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Thu Nov 18 19:15:31 EST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 06:48 pm, Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 06:46:53PM -0500, Philippe April wrote:
> > I'll see what I can do to test that change... I could definitely make my
> > DNS resolve auth.ilesansfil.org to something else, but then it won't be
> > able to ping it...
> >
> > Did Alex make it do that change in the firewall even if it's not HTTP
> > pingable?
>
> 	It does it automatically anytime that it rotates Auth Servers.
> Such as when HTTP pings fail.

First, can we keep this discussion on the wifidog mailing list, there is
already way too much traffic on volunteers.

Second, i'm having trouble following the code in ping.c, I cannot find a
compare between the current auth adress and the one returned by DNS.  Does it
check that the ip still matches a every ping?  If not, a ping won't fail if
the auth server ip changes, so the adress has to be explicitely checked with
DNS and then trigger auth server rotation (and ideally attempting to stay on
the same server first).

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/