[Wifidog] Wifidog@Berlin

Jan Dahl Jan at NetNerds.de
Wed Nov 10 07:43:31 EST 2004

Hello Wifidogers,
Since a while i am tracking this project and now the time has come to make
my fist own experience. That is because the need of protecting our Gateways
become more and more important. Halve of our clients are personally known
neighbors, friendly, who don't make trouble or even traffic on our lines
(just eMail and www). The other halve are anonymous people who scan my
network, litter my line with P2P traffic and do not react to contact
approaches.

I am part of the Berlin WLan community. As you can see
(http://www.nodedb.com/europe/de/berlin/?), we have some culminations of
Hotspots in the former eastern part of the City. When the Wall came down our
phone company put fiberwire to a big area of the new part. The phone system
of the DDR was still the one from before second world war, 50 Years old and
they didn't do much to enlarge it. So the phone company of the west, the
unified one, put fiberwire to the streets. But, unfortunately, they used
only ISDN connectors at the cable. So, some districts have only Phone and no
possibility for broadband. What happen was that we did it on our own :)

As fare as i know, most off the AP are closed (encrypted) or completely
unprotected to gather more clients. This is the reason of my initiative. I
like to have my Hotspots unencrypted while keeping out anonymous people.
After some investigation i choose wifidog for it is running on the Linksys
routers which are popular in our community and because it have all the nice
features i like to have.

So far to my story (sorry for my poor English).

Now to my first try. I installed client and sever, and, after some hassle,
it seems to work. Great work Benoit and all of you, thank you.

Since i put the Authserver on a local machine for testing purposes, i
ordered a vServer yesterday to give the whole community access to this
service.

Now my some first question (and there will be a lot more for sure):

1. We like to give the Interface our own look. The wifidog-Logo (nice one!)
and the Ile sans file will stay. Is that OK?
2. I prefer MySQL but can't find the DB-Schema. Are you planning to put it
to CVS?
3. Are the Bandwith per class features still on the road map? Is there a
time schedule for that (really burning for that)?

Greeting to Canada,

Jan Dahl