[Wifidog] small ssl solution

Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux saruman at northernhacking.org
Sat Mar 13 17:44:41 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 03:20:11PM -0500, Robin Y. Millette wrote:

> I think the problem with ssl is the high cpu usage, although I'd like someone to
> confirm this.

	It's fairly high, true. But that's just because public key crypto
is demanding. It's been a while since I worried about this, but a 486 used
to handle 2-3 request/sec over SSL, way back. I would think a 100-200Mhz
MIPS derivative wouldn't have too much problems acting as a Gateway. It
wouldn't need to do much more then 1 request per second (that's what, 300
clients being polled once every five minutes?)

Alex