[Wifidog] Crash diagnosed

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mon Jul 5 23:11:26 EDT 2004

On Monday 05 July 2004 10:19 pm, Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	Tonight, at Phil's, Pascal and I debugged WiFiDog. We found the
> cause of the intermittent hanging.
>
> 	The function deleting nodes from the client_list structure could,
> when it didn't match either the first or second item in the list, loop
> indefinately. This infinite looped caused the client_list_mutex to remain
> locked effectively dead-locking WiFiDog. This has been fixed in the local
> source tree and as soon as Phil can clean it up, it'll be committed to the
> CVS.

Finally, congratulations!

> 	This leaves one major bug. Under some circumstances, succesful
> logins (of an account that has been denied before) may return an "Access
> Denied". This may be related to the cache of web browsers or not. We
> only noticed the bug and didn't investigate it yet.

Web browser and proxies have various cache bugs.  Before we even begin hunting
this one down, I suggest we add the following to every page:

In the http headers:

Cache-control: private, no-cache, must-revalidate
Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT"
Pragma: no-cache

And in the HTML (in <head>):

And AFTER </body>, to work around IEs stupid cache 64k buffer bug add a SECOND
<head>
</head>

If no one did it next week, I'll probably take care of it.

> 	When those two issues are taken care of, we will be ready to
> make an alpha.
>
> 	As for the documentation and build process for the ipkg, I will
> look at that early this week. I've seen how Phil does it and I'll tailor
> the process to us so it can be at least partly automated with a script
> or a Makefile.

Cool, begining two weeks from now, I should have time to actually code, if I
bother to properly setup my test environement.  Your docs would greatly
increase the chances of that happening.

- --
Benoit Grégoire, http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/