[Wifidog] Problems with a new WifiDog setup

Philippe April isf_lists at philippeapril.com
Thu Dec 9 11:32:42 EST 2004

I posted this to Chris offlist as he contacted me directly, here's what
I found out (I have access to his router, which helped a lot!) and
responded to Chris..... hopefully he won't have trouble reflashing it...

---

What you are missing:

./modules/2.4.20/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_mac.o needs to be loaded
at wifidog startup. We include a version with wifidog to accomodate,
but since you don't use the same firmware....... it will load, but then
will NOT work.

That's because the version of iptables on your firmware is 1.2.11, the
version in the package is 1.2.9.......................

Sooooo...... reflash it with the firmware on my website (don't forget to
do the firstboot and all) otherwise we'd need to recompile a wifidog
package for your version of the buildroot, etc.

----

And don't forget boot_wait if it's off! :)

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:26:53AM -0500, Chris Poupart wrote:
> Hi folks, I sent this already to Philippe, but maybe you have a quick
> and obvious solution for it:
>
> I have a fresh setup of for the Fraser Hickson Library, running the
> latest OpenWRT snapshot and wifidog_1.0.2-pre4.
>
> Basically, when I try to browse, I get redirected to the auth server to
> logon, which succeeds.  "wdctl status" shows me as being connected and
> having a token. However, when I try to continue on to the site that I
> was trying to access (or any other page), it returns me to the logon
> page.  If I try to logon again, it tells me "Access denied".
>
> The router is currently on my home LAN, which duplicates to a large
> degree the setup that they have at the Fraser Hickson:
>
> Library LAN: 192.168.1.0/24
> WRT54G LAN: 192.168.0.0/24
> WRT54G WAN IP: 192.168.1.2/24
>
> The WAN IP of the router has been changed to 192.168.1.2, as they do
> static addressing there, and that is the address that they assigned for
> the router.
>
> wan_proto has been changed to "static" in nvram.
>
> The wifi connections are served by DHCP and given addresses in
> 192.168.0.100 - 250 range.
>
> If I disable wifidog, I can browse the internet as normal, so all the
> networking seems to be working just fine.
>
> A copy of my wifidog.conf file can be found:
> http://132.216.217.240/openwrt/wifidog.conf
>
> I have the site install setup for tomorrow after work, so I am somewhat
> anxious to get this working!
>
> Any insights would be greatly apprecaited!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris Poupart

Philippe April
GnuPG: http://key.philippeapril.com/