[Wifidog] Re: Fwd: WiFiDog trial with NYCwireless

Pascal Leclerc leclerc.pascal at ireq.ca
Tue Dec 7 16:35:44 EST 2004

Benoit Grégoire wrote:

>On Tuesday 07 December 2004 14:48, Michael Lenczner wrote:
>

>>Michael,
>>
>>I'm starting to look into using WiFiDog with our community hotspot
>>program. Do you know if the software runs on OS X? also, what is
>>required on the client side? I'd like to use m0n0wall as the client
>>platform, but this isn't a requirement.
>>

>Wifidog is made up of two parts:
>-The wifidog  gateway, to be installed at the hotspot.  It's the captive
>portal itself, and it runs on any linux based system.  It's much smaller than
>m0n0wall,, it even fits on an a Linksys WRT54G running OpenWrt, which makes
>it very cheap to deploy: <100$ per node.  Stable version 1.0.2 is due by the
>end of the week.  It could architecturally be made to work on Mac OS X and
>other BSD based OSs if someone implements the proper firewall code.
>
>-The wifidog auth server, where most of the intelligence resides (local
>content delivery, statistics, rss agregations, user management, etc).  This
>is server software written in PHP, and will run on any platform using PHP and
>PostgreSql, so it should run on MacOS X.  It's very stable, but it's missing
>an andmin interface to add new hatspots (currently they have to be added
>directly to the database).  For this reason it hasn't been released
>publically yet, it must be grabbed from CVS.  I don't know the design of
>m0n0wall's captive portal.  It probably could be made to talk to the wifidog
>auth server, but i'm not sure that it would really be usefull to do so.

I'm planning to add the missing features of the admin interface as soon
as I can (I don't know if others volunteers have time or planning this).
I'm currently finishing some add-on to the OpenWRT web interface and I
will switch to the auth-server code in the next weeks. And I will take a
look to auth-server support of MySQL. Multi-database support is not a
priority, but it can be usefull to some other community.

Pascal