[Wifidog] New version of wifidog-auth

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Tue Aug 3 03:12:35 EDT 2004

Ok after a ridiculous amount of lack of sleep, I am finally satisfied.  So
here is the brand new wifidog authentication server, which now lives in it's
own CVS module (wifidog-auth).  I'm way too tired for a complete list of
changes, but here is a preview:

2004-08-02 Benoit Grégoire  <bock at step.polymtl.ca>
	* wifidog-auth lives! New since the dark ages
	* Demo page to allow people to hack more easely on it
	* Support for multiple nodes.  TODO:  Merge with the database project.
	* Very cool local content architecture.  Every hotspot can have a folder in
the local_content directory.  This folder can be filed by a single logo,
leaving all the rest to the default content, or be completely custom
(stylesheet, login page, portal page, header, etc.)
	* Everything in local content is templated with smarty, no problem with web
designer wrecking havoc on the auth server.  You can edit everything in
local_content/default even if you only speak html.
	* No need to set any path in the web server config files (that one was a
bitch to implement)
	* RSS feed support (optionnal, with magpierss), one feed per node (url stored
in the database, works great, but no gui to edit it yet) and one network-wide
RSS feed.
	* All path are editable from the config file
	* "Productize" the thing, so it make sense for other groups to install it
(the network name, url, default RSS, and such are set from the config file.
	* Put most strings in gettext calls for easy future translation.
	* User can request that the server send the validation email again
	* User can change password
	* User who forgot his username can have it mailed to him.
	* User who lost his password can ask the system to generate a new one and
mail it to him.
	* Email is now a separate field to preserve user privacy.
	* Enforces (politely) that there are no duplicate emails in the database
	* Database abstraction layer with very nice debugging features (just append
true at the end of the call, and you'll see the query, the results, the query
plan and number of affected rows.  Also allow future upgrade to postgres.
	* Lots of other things I forgot.

I don't have time to package a proper tarball, but I think it may be ready for
a beta release.  In the meantime, you can grab it at:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/wifidog login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/wifidog co
wifidog-auth

And to see it in action point your browser to http://isfauth.coeus.ca/wifidog/

I promised i'd get the ball roling far enough for everyone elseto see where we
are going, but now I've exausted my developement quota for a while.  But this
should now be really easy to hack on both the templates (the look is still
real ugly) and the code.  I hope we can now get feedback nad new
contributors.

Oh, and special thanks to Philippe, there is still a lot of his code and ideas
in there (yes, I admit, you were right about Smarty).

Good night,

- --
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/