[Wifidog] Version 1.0

Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux saruman at northernhacking.org
Thu Apr 22 19:06:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 06:47:24PM -0400, Philippe April wrote:

> We just need to make sure this is really what we want, and design exactly
> how we want to do it and what we want to achieve.
>
> So for now, I took out your userclasses, because we would not use them in
> version 1.0.

	Did you cvs tag before the change?

> Also, the way I had originally done the profiles and the tagging in the
> firewall is tricky, and I don't think it's what we should aim for.

	Probably not.

> Now, since nobody but me has a working testbed or is willing to play with
> iptables, it's tough.
>
> I have questions regarding classes and groups, like:
>
> - how many classes do we want to have?
> - what information is in a class?

	Access restrictions ;-).

> - how can a hotspot owner manage the classes?

	My idea is that they could either do it in the config file or in
the central server but they should have the option to do it locally. Maybe
a config interface on the gateway post 1.0 or maybe by 2.0.

> - how would groups be implemented and how would we use them?

	Groups are advisory in nature. A Gateway will be able to use Groups
to filter users. Possibly, User Class will be able to be customized on a per
Group basis.

E.g.:
	A Gateway from Company XYZ could give basic access to the
"Everyone" group and extensive access to a group of "XYZ_Employees"....

	Post 1.0 should allow excluding Groups.
	2.0 should allow different user class specification by Groups.

> There are some features we want for 1.0 that are now implemented, but they
> are tricky, you will see by looking at the code or by making it work
> (again, nobody makes it work fully but me, that's a problem).

	I will be working more on it as I get more money but I could be
quite busy with my new job (I'm now sys admin @ the montreal neurological
institute.)

> My opinion is that I think it'd be great to commit in CVS and say "ok this
> is version 0.9.0" or something, and then build up and fix until we're at
> 1.0.

	At the very least make a tag so that we can easily recover any
of the files should we need them later.

> Go get the tarball, look at it, I stripped down stuff, implemented some
> other things, etc.
>
> You can get it at http://www.philippeapril.com/wifidog/wifidog-0.2.0.tar.gz
>
> I'm running it right now and it seems to work fine. I'm able to create a
> new account if I don't have one (some code had to be implemented on the
> auth server which is not in the tarball but will be soon, sorry).
>
> Please all let me know what you think as soon as you can. I'll be testing
> at home.

	I'll take a look at it ASAP.

Alex