[Wifidog] Version 1.0

Philippe April papril777 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 10:10:23 EDT 2004

Okay I believe me and Pascal (correct me if I'm wrong) have talked with
Daniel before and got different answers regarding that, we thought we were
aiming more for a centralized architecture. That way we don't need to
build a web interface for configuring complex Wifidog's config rules,
while still taking into account the rules from the central server, etc.

Pascal, Daniel? Est-ce moi ou est-ce qu'on a eu 2 différentes idées sur la
facon dont ce doit etre fait?

I understand the extreme example, and it kind of makes sense.

I believe we all have different views of how things should get done. Now
we just need to know, who gets to decide? do we just present the different
ways and vote? It seems clear in everybody's head, but we haven't agreed
on a design altogether.

I would really suggest to take off all userclasses code for 1.0, even just
to have something clean since we won't be using it now. That's just my
personal opinion.

So for 1.0,

Can we all agree that we remove the unneeded code from the source tree,
have users authenticated (yes or no returned from auth server), and be
granted internet access, with a general timeout from the config file, so
if there's no traffic for like 5 minutes, they get denied access?

Later on, we will return a status code regarding authentication and more
complicated rules.

<sigh>I don't know what to say now, I feel like I'm in a bad position
right now.</sigh>

It seems like I get ideas and design concerns from everywhere. What Daniel
was saying sounded sooooo right when he said it. Then you (Benoit) send an
email, and what you say kind of makes sense too.

Now I'd love to ship out version 1.0 very soon with limited
functionalities, while still aim in the right direction for the future,
it'd be great if we could all agree on something so we can code and start
the testing phase soon.

Philippe