[Wifidog] Play with iptables in C

Philippe April papril777 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 09:16:30 EDT 2004

Here's a document I found that explains how to do some querying and
modifications.

http://opalsoft.net/qos/libiptc/qlibiptc.html

However, after going through it, I do not think it's a good idea.

It's feasible, but we need the compiled iptables sources and header files.
We have those when we install openwrt, which is good, but pretty much
everybody else will not have that.

So we could do a "plugin" to wifidog that takes advantage of the lib and
headers from iptables in openwrt or other firmwares, but leave the
possibility for people to use shell scripts by default.

Personally, seeing this, I think we should just go with shell scripts as
it would be complicated otherwise. We could try to copy code from libiptc
and all, but after looking into it, it would be too much trouble.

I can almost hear Alexandre say "that's easy" ( :D ), but I think not.

Let me know what you all think, I haven't done extensive researches over
days but this is all I found after actively looking for about 30 minutes
and usually google is good for that.

I looked at some firewall softwares (not many written in C, it's mostly
Perl and shell scripting), and all of the ones in C were calling shell
scripts to do their dirty work.

Philippe